As I talk to people about the benefits of music during surgery, invariably I get the question, “But Alice, why would you want less anesthesia during surgery…I want MORE anesthesia!” OK, I know what you’re thinking: you don’t want to risk feeling any pain or being “accidentally awake” though the doctors think you are asleep. Yes, there’s been a lot in the news about that recently. Here are some of the many benefits of using less anestheisa:
- anesthesia can take up to 6 months to completely leave your system
- all bodily systems are brought to an almost complete halt by anesthesia, severe constipation being a common result of this
- anesthesia is fraught with adverse reactions in patients including allergy and just plain sever side-effects
- side-effects include prolonged nausea, dizziness, fuzzy thinking, rashes, double vision and depression
- the less anesthesia you have, the sooner you can leave the hospital, begin your healing journey and get on with your life!
If you could have beautiful music playing through headphones cordless, self-contained, lightweight headphones during your procedure and take less anesthesia without an increase in pain, wouldn’t you do it?? Please let me know! Thank you!